Andrew J. Rutens
Andrew Rutens’ practice areas are employment and labor law, government entity liability, law enforcement excessive force defense and general defense litigation.
He has been a member of the Alabama Bar since 1992 and the Florida Bar since 1994. In addition to practicing in all state courts of Alabama and Florida, Mr. Rutens is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida, the United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit and the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Rutens serves as the City Attorney for Saraland, Alabama. He is a member of the board of directors for the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association. He is also a member of the Defense Research Institute.
On a personal level, Andy currently serves as the Chief Volunteer Officer and Chairman of the Board of Directors for the YMCA of South Alabama and also serves on the Board of Directors for the Playhouse in the Park. He is also a member of the St. Ignatius Choir and serve as a soloist. Andy has taught multiple continuing legal education seminars. He has taught seminars on Issues of Police Liability, Land Use and Planning Issues and Zoning Concerns for the National Business Institute. Andy has also co-presented a seminar on A Comparison of Alabama and Tennessee law through the Alabama Defense Lawyers Association.
View the Blue Review article by our very own Attorney Andrew Rutens and Attorney Melissa Hunter
Area of practice- Expertise, Where it Counts
- Birthplace: New York, New York
- Law School: Cumberland School of Law of Samford University, J.D.
- Biography: Order of Barristers. Associate Justice Moot Court Board. National Moot Court Team. Listed in: Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges. Saraland, Alabama City Attorney, 2010-present
- Admitted 1992, Alabama and U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama; 1994, Florida; 1995, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit; 1996, U.S. Supreme Court
- Member Mobile Bar Association; Alabama State Bar; The Florida Bar
- Peer Rating:(4.6/5.0)